February 8, 2023

Sacco Review|The Leading Newspaper for Co-operative Movement in Kenya

The Leading Newspaper for Co-operative Movement in Kenya

Police DIG invites public to join police Sacco for prosperity

Edward Mbugua, Deputy IG, Kenya National Police Service

Share

By Kamau Njoroge

The Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police Edward Njoroge Mbugua has urged Kenyans to join the Kenya National Police Deposit Taking Sacco for their economic prosperity.

The DIG said membership to the Sacco is not limited to police officers and their families but open to all Kenyans.

He noted that the Sacco is among the best performing Saccos in the country, saying 95 per cent are police officers while the remaining 5 per cent are civilians.

Mbugua said that Kenyans who will join the Sacco are set to reap massive benefits including high dividends, flexible loans and financial literacy training, among others.

He spoke while officially opening a modern dispensary constructed by the Kenya National Police DT Sacco at a cost of Ksh28 million at GSU Recce camp in Kimbo, Juja Sub-county recently.

“I am among the pioneer members of the Sacco and I can attest that I have made significant strides financially through the Sacco. Even you members of the Fourth Estate as well as all Kenyans should join the Sacco for the sake of financial growth and economic prosperity,” Mbugua said.

Mbugua, who was accompanied by the GSU Commandant Douglas Mbugua and Sacco chairman David Mategwa noted that the Sacco had touched many lives through their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities, citing the newly built modern dispensary  that will not  only serve police officers but also the Juja community.

“The Sacco has initiated so many life-changing programmes and projects in the health and education sectors. Recently the Sacco constructed nine classrooms and a fully equipped computer laboratory at Utumishi Girls High School in Gilgil,” he said.

Mategwa echoed Mbugua’s sentiments, divulging that the Sacco has a total asset base amounting to Ksh42 billion, with projections pointing at Ksh50 billion by next year.

“We are seeking to have more members joining us as we celebrate 50 years of service next year. We usually train our members on financial literacy to make sure that they make wise financial decisions that will bring them more fortunes and economic stability,” Mategwa said.

The Chairman noted that the Sacco gives back to the community through projects and programmes, citing the free secondary and university education for children of departed members.

“We sponsor children of our departed members. So far we have 70 beneficiaries of the programme and this year only some 15 bright students joined form one through our programme,” he said.

At the same time, DIG Mbugua divulged that the government is set to put up a 100-bed capacity Level 3 hospital at the Kimbo GSU camp that will serve officers and Juja residents.

He noted that plans are at an advanced stage and that the construction work will begin soon.

Mbugua called on the Kiambu County Government to chip in their support and assist in deploying medics, equipment as well as medical supplies.

“We will engage the Kiambu County Government to help us in staffing the facility and stocking it with drugs,” he said.